The Haus der Kulturen der Welt (House of world cultures) is a building of great architectural and historical interest. It was the USA’s contribution to the INTERBAU 1957 building exhibition in Berlin, where designs of numerous renowned architects were constructed in the nearby “Hansaviertel”.
In 1955, Hugh Stubbins started to work on a design for a building which would soon become a landmark in the cityscape of post-war Berlin. Stubbins, who had been Gropius’s assistant at Harvard before the Second World War, was familiar with Germany. Wanting to make a statement on the conflict between the systems commonly referred to as the Cold War, Stubbins planned a building which was intended to serve as a symbol and beacon of freedom. [Part II]