Around the world, about 39 million people are blind and roughly 6 times that many have some kind of vision impairment.
The United Nations Headquarters complex was constructed in stages with the core complex completed between 1948 and 1952. Rather than holding a competition for the design of the facilities for the United Nations Headquarters, the UN decided to commission a multinational team of leading architects to collaborate on the design. The American architect Wallace K. Harrison was named as Director of Planning, and a Board of Design Consultants was com-posed of architects, planners and engineers nominated by member governments.
The board consisted of N. D. Bassov of the Soviet Union, Gaston Brunfaut (Belgium), Ernest Cormier (Canada), Le Corbusier (France), Liang Seu-cheng (China), Sven Markelius (Sweden), Oscar Niemeyer (Brazil), Howard Robertson (United Kingdom), G. A. Soilleux (Australia), and Julio Vilamajó (Uruguay).